I am an Assistant Professor at Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute where I also co-direct the Carnegie Mellon | Portugal Professional Masters of Human-Computer Interaction. My work focuses on the design and evaluation of pervasive computing systems with a focus on the experiential and social consequences of their adoption (see my research statement). I hold a PhD (cum laude) from Eindhoven University of Technology on methods and tools for user experience evaluation, entitled Quantifying Diversity in User Experience.
- Find us at CHI'13 at the following spots:
(Full paper - Wednesday 16:00) Footprint tracker: supporting diary studies with lifelogging
(WIP - Mon/Tues) FaceIt: Supporting Reflection upon Social Anxiety Events with Lifelogging
(WIP - Mon/Tues) Look What I Found! Augmenting Phone Calls with Memories of the Past
(WIP - Mon/Tues) Enwildering the Lab: Merging Field Evaluation with In-Lab Experience Sampling
(WIP - Mon/Tues) Experiential Perspectives on Road Congestions
- Submit by May 15, 2013 - 2nd International Workshop on Ubiquitous Mobile Instrumentation - Mobile devices as sensors on understanding human-behavior, routines and context inference
Some past activities
- The book is out!
- ACing for CHI 2013, PCing for Ubimi. Submit!
- Join our CHI 2012 workshop on Theories, methods and case studies of longitudinal HCI research. Deadline for submissions: Jan 13, 2012.
- Invited talk at the Long-Term User Experience Seminar in Tampere. Find the slides here.
- My PhD thesis was nominated for the TU/e Doctoral Project Award 2011. It also gives me an excuse to catch up with friends and colleagues in Eindhoven.
- Associate chair for CHI 2012 and Interact 2011, Short papers co-chair at Desire 2011
- I will be presenting a hands-on course on Measuring the User Experience at the UCIT Summer School on Product User Experience, in Tampere, Finland, August 2010.
- I will be joining the Dagstuhl seminar on Demarcating User Experience, 15-18 September 2010.
- Invited talks at TU Delft Design Aesthetics Section (28 June 2010), SIGCHI Finland – Helsinki (1 Sept 2010) and Nokia Research Center – Tampere (2 Sept 2010).
- I will be visiting the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute, 1-13 May 2010.
- I visited the Virtual Knowledge Studio on March 17, where I presented my research proposal on CognitiveNet.
- I was awarded my PhD (cum laude) on 23 March 2010. A press release in English and Dutch, and the full text.
- I strongly recommend Daniel Kahneman’s TED talk on The riddle of experience vs. memory. See also our work on iScale, the long paper, and a brief summary.
- You are warmly invited to the mini-symposium on Diversity in User Experience, preceding my PhD defense on the 23rd of March at 1pm, at zaal 1, Zwarte Doos, Eindhoven University of Technology. Seating is limited, priority will be given to the ones who have registered. More information and registration at: http://ekarapanos.com/symposium/